Monday 9 July 2012

First Month of My Placement


First month of my Events Placement: Time goes by so fast and here i am on my Placement.  I was so excited to work at the University of Huddersfield.  On the first week I’ve learned so many things.  The first day I was welcomed by everyone and given my new employee card.  The staff here are very friendly and supportive that made me feel at home from day one.  Then I’ve learned how to release jobs on the JobShop and publish them.  How to use the email system and how it is to work as part of a team.  I’ve learned some of the UK recruiting and advertising laws when publishing those jobs online. 
My first meeting was very welcoming by everyone and I made clear that I am willing to promote our services and department not only with the events i will be working on but with small promotional projects.  After doing my research on our events and other University Careers and Employability events from week 1 i had a lot of ideas.  I feel very pleased that my ideas were appreciated, heard and some of them were given the “green light” to actually continue (for example this blog).  This placement will give me the foundations of a great career path ahead of me.  It will also raise my awareness of the graduate labour market and the University’s student profile and prepare me not only for my 4th year but for my life after University.  I appreciate the work of the Careers and Employability service and the way they support us students therefore i wish to contribute to that by executing successful events for the students.  What I’m hoping to get on my placement is to expand my networking abilities make new contacts in which might be useful for the future and learn as much as i could possibly can.  I have started my placement almost a month ago and I already feel like I’ve learned so much.  It made me think more seriously on being a future Event Manager.


To be honest the first week I was very shy and I thought it would take some time to adapt to this new environment but I realised that I adapted faster than I thought.  The staff here helped me a lot on that because they all make me feel like home.  I guess that’s why they are all professionals with what they do.  Besides their services as a Careers and Employability staff, they are also so very friendly. On the first week I was kind of scared for making any mistakes but fortunately there was nothing I did wrong (at least that’s what I think so).  I’m just hoping that my work will be appreciated and valued but there’s a lot I need to learn before I start organising “big events”.  There is a structure and certain way of dealing with everything and I need to get more experience on that.  For example how to approach or come back to people in every situation I need to deal with. .  I know there are some things that need to be done every day in a certain way but there’s still so much more i can learn and that is what excites me the most.  And as I said before every day it’s a new day here at the Careers and Employability services.

No comments:

Post a Comment